- finally OpenOffice 3.0.1 installed;
- Gnome 2.26 with some improvements for multiple monitors setups, Empathy (multi-protocol instant messenger), Evolution (email client now with MS Exchange support), Volume manager (now integrated with PulseAudio);
- X.Org server 1.6 to improve support for some 3D video cards;
- new notification alert system specially designed for Ubuntu;
- Linux kernel 2.6.28 with ext4 file system support;
I’ve been using Ubuntu almost exclusively for about 2 years now. The improvements made since that time have been enormous and this release although not ground breaking has brought some very nice improvements.
On my desktop (the computer I’m using now to write this post) I just did a distro upgrade and with one click of a button the entire system took care of the entire procedure by itself. I left the computer on overnight but the reason it took so long was that most likely the Ubuntu servers and mirrors are extremely busy.
Now I’m already looking forward to Ubuntu 9.10 in October 🙂