Nowadays you can find several really good open source or freeware BitTorrent clients. Why choose Deluge? Because…
- it is open source: you’ll be much safer against having a sneaky hidden process running on your computer;
- it is multiplatform: if you use (or you’re planning to use) more then one operating system, you can install Deluge wherever you want: on Linux, MacOS X, or Windows. Choosing multiplatform apps you’re more likely to remove yourself from the claws of proprietary operating systems.
- it has plugins: use just the features you want by activating the plugins you’ll need.
- it is fast: Deluge is pretty fast with libtorrent.
I used Azureus a lot but it was too sluggish with its Java, after that I used uTorrent which I really liked but when I moved to Linux I couldn’t use it anymore. So, I was left with the option to use Transmission or Deluge. Only the latter worked on Windows, MacOS X, and Linux so I was happy to be able to use the same application on any OS I chose.
With its plugin structure, Deluge has a bunch of extra features, such as:
- BitTorrent Protocol Encryption
- Web seed
- Private Torrents
- Global and per-torrent speed limits
- Configurable bandwidth scheduler
- Password protection
- RSS, and much more!
One plugin I use often is the “Torrent Search” to find the file I want through several different sites.
Last and best of all is its “Web User Interface”. I can now manage my torrents remotely through any web browser. Just activate the plugin, go to your web browser and type
Now, thats what I call complete freedom. Free of charge, free from OS, and free even from your desktop! Download it and if you like it, support the project with a donation.