MediaCoder is the all-purpose media file converter. In my opinion it is surely one of the best open source programs out there. You can convert easily almost any type of audio or video file. There isn’t a need to download special encoders separately, they come already included in MediaCoder, so you’ll only need 1 download.
You can convert files to your video iPod, cell phone, PDA, PSP, or choose other formats to store on your computer.
According to the website, these are the compatible formats:
- MP3, Vorbis, AAC, AAC+, AAC+v2, MusePack, Speex, AMR, WMA, RealAudio, mp3PRO
- FLAC, WavPack, Monkey’s Audio, OptimFrog, AAC Lossless, TTA, WAV/PCM, Waveform
- H.264, XviD, DivX, MPEG 1/2/4, Theora, Flash Video, Dirac, 3ivx, RealVideo, Windows Media Video
- AVI, MPEG/VOB, Matroska, MP4, PMP, RealMedia*, ASF, Quicktime*, OGM
- CD, DVD, VCD, SVCD, CUESheet
Unfortunately this is a Windows only app, but running it through Wine on Linux works just fine. Initially the program might look a bit overwhelming from the many options you are allowed to choose, but it can really be extremely simple to use depending on your choice of settings to change.
You can also download other extensions and add-ons to have an automatic conversion process to your portable devices such as cell phone, PDA, or PSP.
Besides converting media files, you can also add subtitles to your movies, reduce the length of the file, extract the audio track from videos, or reduce the movie screen size.To download the program and the add-ons, please visit the project’s page.
Do you want to watch a tutorial explaining more about the program? Here it is: